Re: RARA-AVIS: Patrick's plan fro writing a novel

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Oct 2007

Personally, I agree with you completely. I don't think Hammett, Chandler, Cain, Thompson, Gardner, Charteris, Spillaine, Fleming or any of the golden agers would have improved any of their work by pushing it into a 300 page format. But try to tell that to a current day agent or publisher. They won't even read a 150 page book without telling you to make it twice as long. I think it hurts the level of writing in modern detective and noir fiction. Eveything's padded. Editors do next to nothing, now. The game is about selling readers a whole bunch of paper for their $8 paperback or $30 hardcover. It's not about the quality of the writing, it's about the weight of the volume! I'd love to see a return to a $2.00 paperback book. Don't tell me no one can make money doing that. But no publisher is willing to try it. The game is what it is and only a wild industrial left turn is going to change it. Frankly, I'm a writer, not a publisher. We all just have to play the hand we're delt until we're in some sort of position to make a difference.

Here's to the book you can read through on a 2 hour flight!

Patrick King

____________________________________________________________________________________ Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not web links. http://mobile.yahoo.com/mobileweb/onesearch?refer=1ONXIC