RE: RARA-AVIS: Encyclopedia of Pulp Fiction Writers

From: Alan K. Rode ( arode@socal.rr.com)
Date: 11 Oct 2007

I think Lee's introduction speaks for itself. Also: a book title, more often than not, is what a publisher believes what will allow the house to sell books rather than a precise content identifier. This practice tends to be extremely noticeable with non-fiction.

Alan

Alan K. Rode

www.alanrode.com

  _____

From: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com [mailto: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mark R. Harris Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 8:26 PM To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Encyclopedia of Pulp Fiction Writers

Server says at the end of his Introduction:

"A comprehensive listing of all pulp fiction writers, even under a stricter definition than my own, would run to dozens of volumes. For this book I have tried to include a representative sampling, including both names of legend and those writers whose obscurity remains almost complete. A few significant pulp fiction contributors -- and much written-about names -- have been left out altogether in favor of some little-known writers who might otherwise not ever be written about at all."

So that's the rationale. Many readers might find it an inadequate explanation, given that the book is called an encyclopedia. The entire volume is undoubtedly informative and entertaining, and the attention paid to those lesser-known writers is certainly welcome -- but one wouldn't expect to pick up a volume called "Encyclopedia of Classical Music Composers" and find that there were no articles about Haydn or Wagner.

Mark Harris

--
Mark R. Harris
2122 W. Russet Court #8