RARA-AVIS: Types of noir (was Re: Pop. 1280)

From: Dave Zeltserman ( dz@hardluckstories.com)
Date: 26 Jul 2007

Psycho noir is a relatively new term that's been popping to describe movies like Blue Velvet, Fight Club and Memento where the protagonist is somewhat out of touch with reality.

I posted the following definition of psycho noir on my Hardluck Stories web-site, not sure if others agree, but this is my view of it, especially how it pertains to Thompson:

"...where the protagonists perceptions and rationalizations are just off center enough to send them to hell."

The esteemable James Winter posted the following definition on his Northcoast Exhile blog, which I could succinct + pretty good:

"In psycho noir, the protagonist is, quite frankly, a scumbag, knows he's a scumbag, yet deludes himself that he is not."

I look at standard noir more like James M. Cain's "Double Indemnity" or "Postman Always Rings Twice"--where the protagonist crosses a line where there's no turning--basically Jack Bludis's definition of noir==screwed.

--Dave