RARA-AVIS: Re: 87th Precinct

From: Jack Bludis ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Jul 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "e_lynskey"
 <e_lynskey@...> wrote:

> Maybe this question has been asked before. Does anyone
 have reading
> favorites of Ed McBain's 87th precinct series? I've read
 Blood
> Relatives, Jigsaw (in process), and one from some time
 back I can't
> recall the title of.

The pleasure of the 87th precinct series is the characters, their interactions, and their attitudes.

In the beginning when they were 50/60,000 word novels, they were puzzles like the traditional mysteries and usually had a page that showed a photo or copy of an important clue. As publishers got bigger and wanted more words for each book, they became more complicated.

The last 87th Precinct I read was "The Fumorous Bandersnatch." The big puzzle was pretty simple, the police work was a la Law and Order, first half hour, and to me there was only one suprise, but it was a dilly.

Favorites? Not sure, but I do remember and opening line that went something like, "Blood when it spills is brown and not red."

That was my first, and I think it is possible that it was the first 87th Precinct as well.

Anybody have that exact quote, and the book it was from? I no longer have my old 87ths.

Jack

http://crimespace.ning.com/profile/JackBludis http://jackbludis.com/ Recent Story at http://backalleywebzine.com/

____________________________________________________________________________________ 8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time with the Yahoo! Search movie showtime shortcut. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcuts/#news