Re: RARA-AVIS: Postmodernism and literature

From: Kerry J. Schooley ( gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com)
Date: 20 Mar 2007

At 09:34 PM 19/03/2007, Michael Robison wrote:

>What do you mean it's not relevant to this discussion?
>My post was a direct response to Jim's request for an
>explanation of what pomo is. I mentioned a background
>in structuralism, the postmodern response, several
>postmodern themes, and specific examples of how they
>instantiate themselves in literature.
>
>As far as it being over-long, I'd say that's a classic
>case of the pot calling the kettle black.

To quote yourself: "More than you ever wanted to know, sliced out of last September:"

Followed by several paragraphs that Jim managed to sum up in a sentence, if I recall correctly.

My sense of your opus was that you provided a longer and more detailed than necessary explanation of post-modernism in order to express your personal distaste for much of it. Have I got that wrong?

The subject at the time, I thought, was about whether post-modernism was a new direction for noir and/or hardboil. Not that subjects can't change, of course.

As for the pot and the kettle, you may have a point there.

Best, Kerry

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com