Re: RARA-AVIS: Who changed the noir writing ?

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 01 Mar 2007

I forget, was the question who has changed noir writing or who is now changing noir writing? While Leonard would certainly fit into the former category, isn't he a bit of an old master for the latter?

I'd say Ken Bruen certainly fits here. Not meaning to restart the coat tails debate over him again, but one thing that struck me as odd about it was that everyone, even his many defenders, seemed to place him among the old guard. Yes, he is chronologically older than many of the younger generation, and he has written a lot more books than most of them have, but he's done it in just over 10 years. For instance, most would call Jason Starr a member of the new guard, but his first novel, Cold Caller, came out just two years after Bruen's first published crime novel, Rilke on Black.

Two others that I'd definitely say have been doing new things with noir in the last decades or so are James Sallis, both in his Lew Griffin series and in standalones, and Jack O'Connell, who based his series around a city, Quinsigamond, not recurring characters.

Mark