Re: RARA-AVIS: Who changed the noir writing ?

From: Steve Novak ( Cinefrog@comcast.net)
Date: 01 Mar 2007

Thanks for your input Mark...To answer your input and some others too, I¹d say that Leonard, Lehane/Ellroy are excellent writers, superb ones sometimes, but they are not innovators of the genre which is was the original question by AD...Innovators could be 20 or 80 years old, that doesn¹t even enter into the picture, but the question originally asked concerned publications done since about the turn of this century (if that is a valid boundary?)...and innovators goes a lot deeper than successful books at the box office...it has to do with fundamental transformations/alterations to the genre in terms of style, voice, locations, subjects, characters, plot lines and it is directly linked to different conceptions about writing, about stylistics and what one would call the Œpolitics¹ of the genre...A prime example is the transformation brought by people like Manchette in France in the 70¹s (see http://www.domenicstansberry.com/newsletter.htm for example) and as AD pointed out those brought about by people like Dantec or others...trends are less formalized (or simply less Œadvertised¹) here but they do exist and any info is valuable... I¹m very curious about Sallis and Jack O¹Connell in that context and would love to know more about your opinion about them...

Many thanks in advance

Steve Novak