RARA-AVIS: the Noir Moment of the Day

From: Frederick Zackel ( fzackel@wcnet.org)
Date: 22 Feb 2007

From today's The NY Times review of "POOR PEOPLE" by William T. Vollmann:

As his devotees have come to expect, many of these tantalizingly spare settings involve prostitutes or drugs. Here's one: "The Mexicali street prostitute Angelica, who came into my room at the end of a night's work, stinking of urine and sweat, assured me: I'm not poor because I can work." Here's another: "She had flaccid, smelly flesh and wide brown eyes; she fell asleep in my lap and there were lice in her beautiful brown hair."

(Whoa!)