RARA-AVIS: The Triumph of the Thriller -- review comment and subtitle.

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 22 Feb 2007

I just read a review by Luc Sante in the New York Times of the book "The Triumph of the Thriller," expresses my thoughts about the book almost exactly. Toward the end of the review, he comments about the subtitle "How cops and crooks, etc.":

>After reading it I know more names of thriller writers
than I could previously recite, and have a small list of writers I'd like to check out - largely on the basis of their settings or plot premises - but I am no closer to knowing "how cops, crooks, and cannibals captured popular fiction."<

This is exactly on target. The book is Patrick Anderson's summary of reviews of any number of popular and sometimes great books without warnings about spoilers--but that makes no difference. It's a nice overview that expresses one man's opinion, some of which I agree with and some that I disagree with. (Anderson is the thriller reviewer for the Wasthingto Post.)

Perhaps the best thing about the book is that he talks up Dennis Lahane and George Pelecanos each in his own full chapter, and recommendsother authors and their works such as James Lee Burkes "Crusaiders Cross," which I read a couple of weeks ago and thought was excellent.

It's a decent read, maybe even worthy of reference. I think he talks up "Silence of the Lambs" and its dismal sequel a bit too much, implying that both are great literary novels.

Oh, in case you missed the last couple postings of the url here is is again:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/18/books/review/Sante.t.html?pagewanted=1

Jack Bludis

http://www.jackbludis.com Shamus nominee for *Shadow of the Dahlia* Try "Blondes, Blondes, Blondes" at http://www.ThrillingDetective.com

____________________________________________________________________________________ Now that's room service! Choose from over 150,000 hotels in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel to find your fit. http://farechase.yahoo.com/promo-generic-14795097