RARA-AVIS: Re: Sports Noir

From: Dave Zeltserman ( dz@hardluckstories.com)
Date: 14 Feb 2007

Jim Thompson's great "After Dark, My Sweet" features an ex-boxer as the noir protagonist, and if you consider cockfighting a sport, you've got Charles Willeford's CockFighter. Btw. I saw the movie Fat City recently of TCM. It was okay, nothing great, but kind of played a bit like a Charles Bukowski book.

--Dave Z.

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Channing" <filmtroll@...> wrote:

> I'm currently enjoying Leonard Gardner's "Fat City" about the seedy
boxing world in Stockton,
> CA. And I recently read and loved Gerald Kersh's "Night And the
City" which had a good