RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir Panel at LCC

From: Karen G. Anderson ( Karenand@mac.com)
Date: 09 Feb 2007

Not having been at the Noir Panel (though I was at LCC) I can't comment on Tim Wohlforth's moderating skills or any comments he made. As someone who has moderated book conference panels in the past, I know that it's not uncommon for panelists or moderators to make comments off the cuff that they would never make in print, and to make comments that are not well though-out. A few years ago, I was at a panel where one panelist was consistently abusive to his fellow panelists and to the moderator. However, this is the first time I've seen panel behavior discussed on a list, and I'm not sure it's a good thing, since so few people on the list have first hand knowledge of who said what...and how.

Tim Wohlforth's apology is about as clear as it can get. I guess this is a good lesson for all of us who moderate or participate.

Karen Anderson