Re: RARA-AVIS: Carter Brown (Lament for a Lousy Lover)

From: James Reasoner ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 12 Jul 2006

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ed Lynskey" < e_lynskey@yahoo.com> To: < rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 4:23 PM Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Carter Brown (Lament for a Lousy Lover)

> Right. The price for a paperback holds steady at 25 cents for
> ten years. Ten years later, it's three times as much due to
> what: inflation, paper costs, distribution? (Isn't McFadden the
> same publisher of the women's confessional magazines? I'm
> reading a 1971 paperback reprint published by McFadden-Bartell
> (MB). Was MaFadden one of the B-list paperback publishers?)
>
> Ed

Calling MacFadden a B-list paperback publisher might be a little too generous, although they reprinted some older mysteries and Westerns that I enjoyed. I think they reprinted some of Edward S. Aarons' early, non-series books and some Day Keene novels. Sometime during the Seventies they were bought by Manor Books. Manor reused some of the covers from MacFadden books on different titles.

James Reasoner