RARA-AVIS: Re: 165 years ago today

From: briannthorntonn ( tieresias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 20 Apr 2006

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Victoria Two <msvictoriatwo@...> wrote:

> American Public Media
> Subject: The Writer's Almanac for Thursday, April 20, 2006
>
> In 1841, on this day, the first detective story was published. In
his story
> The Murders in the Rue Morgue," published in Graham's Magazine,
Edgar Allen Poe created mystery's first fictional detective, Auguste C. Dupin. The story introduced many of the elements of mysteries that are still popular today: the genius detective, the not-so-smart sidekick, the plodding policeman and the use of the red herring to lead readers off the track.

Small but important point here: the name of Poe's seminal fictional consulting detective was "C. Auguste Dupin," not "Auguste C. Dupin."

Thanks for reminding us. I had no idea that Poe wrote that first one so early.

Back to Lurking-

Brian Thornton