Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: 165 years ago today

From: William Harker ( wharker@verizon.net)
Date: 20 Apr 2006

At 02:35 PM 4/20/2006 -0400, you wrote:

>Is this by William Burton? I included his "The Secret Cell" (also 1837, also
>GENTLEMAN'S MAGAZINE) in VICTORIANA but was never able to locate
>the promised sequel to it--it's got a police detective main character who
>uses his wife as an information-gathering agent.
>
>jess

Yes, Burton. As I went through the issues of the magazine tracking down all the "chapters" from "Pages From The Diary of a Philadelphia Lawyer" (the formal title of the entire work), I found that "The Murderess" was the first "chapter" and the succeeding three chapters were all in the same issue but interspersed throughout. So, the first four chapters were in Volume II, Jan-June 1838 and the final three chapters, also interspersed in the next issue, Volume III, July-Dec. 1838. I wonder if Burton "buried" the proposed sequel to
"The Secret Cell" under some other name in either that issue or a succeeding issue. I'll have a look next time I'm at the university library.

Bill Harker

Marlowe is a man "in a lonely street, in lonely rooms, puzzled but never quite defeated."
                                                                 Raymond Chandler, 1959