Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: noirs

From: Brandt Dodson ( bldodson@adelphia.net)
Date: 22 Mar 2006

Hi George,

Your view of Noir is interesting and, I believe, probably correct to a greater or lesser degree. Like pornography, noir has many definitions but it is also something we all know "when we see it".

My novel, "Original Sin" is published by Harvest House ( a Christian publisher), and features a hardboiled PI named Colton Parker. Colton is a product of the "group" home scenario. Never knew his father, and his mother didn't want him. He was shuttled from home to home and now has a significantly hard time developing relationships. He is, in short, a pot of boiling water with the lid ready to fly off.

"Original Sin" deals with his issues, as well as the case he investigates
(the savage murder of a high school guidance counselor) which leads him to internet pornography, strip clubs, mob activities etc. I wrote it with the "feel" of noir (again, something we all know when we see it), and have tried to stay true to the original format as it was developed by Hammett, Chandler et al. Anything in a 1940's "noir" film, is generally acceptable to a Christian publishing house, including violence. After all, David cut off Goliath's head and you can't get much more violent than that.

I would invite you to read "Original Sin" and email your opinion to me at: www.brandtdodson.com or bldodson@adelphia.net.

----- Original Message ----- From: "George C. Upper III" < gcupper3@yahoo.com> To: < rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 2:58 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Re: noirs