Re: RARA-AVIS: Ellroy's L.A. Quartet

From: Chris M ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 08 Feb 2006

Mario said:
>As to Brown's Requiem, it did not make me retch. In fact, I enjoyed it. It
>has a pulp feel to it, a
>brazenness that I found appealing. I haven't reread it, though. Maybe today
>I would find fault
>with it. Oh, and I also liked Suicide Hill, which has good
>characterization.

I picked up American Tabloid as a high school kid who had pretty much only read the Spenser books beforehand. I had to make myself finish it. A couple years later I picked up The Big Nowhere and thought it was even worse.

I kept hearing good things about Ellroy, so I gave Suicide Hill a try, and that's when his writing clicked for me. I raced his catalogue order, and--with the exception of Killer on the Road--thought he got better with each book through American Tabloid.

The Cold Six Thousand was a bit m-e-h for me, but I'm still looking forward to whatever comes next.