Re: RARA-AVIS: Digest Number 548

From: meganabbott2000 ( meganabbott@hotmail.com)
Date: 08 Feb 2006

Hi, Kevin: Well, one of the ideas of the course, in the spirit of inquiry, is to come to a working definition-starting off considering various critical takes (e.g., Haut, O'Brien, Marling, Chandler himself, etc.) on the hardboiled, hardboiled detective fiction, the crime novel, noir novel, etc. and then, through the novels, we'll evaluate these definitions-or perhaps realize the failure of any lone definition to encompass such a wide swath. That's why, in part, we're doing a few books that certainly stretch (or even contort) some definitions of hardboiled-e.g., LAURA. Of course, the main focus of the course is the books themselves...