Re: RARA-AVIS: Perma Red by Debra Magpie Earling

From: James Reasoner ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 12 Nov 2005

> According to WWA rules, a single work can compete in
> as many categories as it's eligible for, but PERMA RED
> is one of the few (perhaps the only; but I'd have to
> check to be sure) novel that has actually won in two
> separate categories.
>
> JIM DOHERTY

I think John Byrne Cooke's THE SNOWBLIND MOON won both the Novel of the West Spur and the Medicine Pipe Bearer's Award (technically not a Spur, although it's given by the WWA) for Best First Novel.

One of Cooke's other historical novels, THE COMMITTEE OF VIGILANCE, is about San Francisco's Barbary Coast and might be hardboiled enough to interest some readers here.

James Reasoner