Re: RARA-AVIS: Perma Red by Debra Magpie Earling

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Nov 2005

Gary,

Re your comment below:

> Besides the fact that this book won the Spur from
> the Western Writers for
> the Best Novel of the West, Earling acknowledges
> James Crumley at the
> beginning of the book. I recommend this book for
> the noir, for the
> well-developed characters, for the Native American
> spiritualism, for the
> setting, and for its use of language.

Actually, PERMA RED won TWO Spur Awards from the WWA, one for Best Novel of the West (a category limited to novels of more than 90,000 words; novels with a lower word number may compete in the "Best Western Novel" category), and Best First Western Novel.

According to WWA rules, a single work can compete in as many categories as it's eligible for, but PERMA RED is one of the few (perhaps the only; but I'd have to check to be sure) novel that has actually won in two separate categories.

JIM DOHERTY