RARA-AVIS: Re: Welcome to Vicki Hendricks, guest of honour

From: Max Gilbert ( jmaxgilbert@yahoo.com)
Date: 08 Apr 2005

...The hardboiled PI or cop or even
> criminal
> > inhabits a world of violence and is aware of the possibilities,
the
> > noir hero inhabits an everyday world that suddenly spins out of
> > control. That's the distinction I was trying to make.
> >

> That's fine as a starting point, but it must be remembered that
> individual noirs can inflect this schema in a thousand different
> ways. In Edgar Ulmer's film DETOUR, for example, the protagonist
is
> constantly moaning about his bad luck, about how an impersonal
fate
> has reached out and put the finger on him for no good reason at
all.
> He sees himself as an everyday guy whose world has suddenly spun
out
> of control. Yet the film makes it absolutely clear that this man
is a
> hypocrite who invokes the concept of 'fate' as a means of denying
> what is blatantly obvious to anyone who looks closely at the film -

> that he personally responsible for everything which happens to him.
>
> Elmore Leonard's novel CAT CHASER works is a somewhat similar way.
> The protagonist sees himself as an ordinary guy who has somehow
> become involved with a noir world of violent thugs and ex-
torturers.
> Yet the truth is that he is able to emerge victorious (with two
> suitcases full of money) only because he is ultimately capable of
> surpassing his enemies in calculated self-interest.

Well I would say that with any genre (or sub-genre) you will rarely
(if ever) find a text that perfectly fills all expectations, and many texts will belong to more than one genre at a time (I think that's especially true of the 2 we're talking about here)--but usually you can say that it falls more into one camp than the other. In regards to this aspect of noir, there will certainly be some works that turn that expectation on its head. That said, I'm not so sure about the 2 examples you give. In DETOUR, the protagonist begins the movie (I haven't read the book) as a poor schlep who gets a ride with the wrong guy at the wrong time--from there he makes 1 bad choice after the other leading him to a certain fate--but when he hitched that ride he was completely clueless about what "fate" had in store for him. It's been a while since I've read CAT CHASER, but if I remember correctly the hero is an ex-soldier who's been invovlved in covert action & as such he at least has experience of the violent world of the "hardboiled." The fact that he comes out ahead also suggest that this isn't a "pure" noir--I'd say the real noir does not have a happy ending (or such an ending doesn't really ring true).

Max

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM