RARA-AVIS: Re: Welcome to Vicki Hendricks, guest of honour

From: thebradstevens ( bradstevens22@hotmail.com)
Date: 08 Apr 2005

> I would agree that the noir "hero" is usually responsible for what
> happens to him or herself, but they don't go into a situation aware
of
> what might happen to them. The hardboiled PI or cop or even
criminal
> inhabits a world of violence and is aware of the possibilities, the
> noir hero inhabits an everyday world that suddenly spins out of
> control. That's the distinction I was trying to make.

That's fine as a starting point, but it must be remembered that individual noirs can inflect this schema in a thousand different ways. In Edgar Ulmer's film DETOUR, for example, the protagonist is constantly moaning about his bad luck, about how an impersonal fate has reached out and put the finger on him for no good reason at all. He sees himself as an everyday guy whose world has suddenly spun out of control. Yet the film makes it absolutely clear that this man is a hypocrite who invokes the concept of 'fate' as a means of denying what is blatantly obvious to anyone who looks closely at the film - that he personally responsible for everything which happens to him.

Elmore Leonard's novel CAT CHASER works is a somewhat similar way. The protagonist sees himself as an ordinary guy who has somehow become involved with a noir world of violent thugs and ex-torturers. Yet the truth is that he is able to emerge victorious (with two suitcases full of money) only because he is ultimately capable of surpassing his enemies in calculated self-interest.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM