Re: RARA-AVIS: Bruen's The Magdalen Martyrs

From: Bill Crider ( bcrider@houston.rr.com)
Date: 18 Mar 2005

When I read THE GUARDS, I was a little disappointed, since I didn't like it as much as I liked THE WHITE TRILOGY. But then I read THE KILLING OF THE TINKERS and went right on to THE MAGDALEN MARTYRS and THE DRAMATIST. Jack Taylor does indeed smack himself in the head with the griddle (or whatever), but I don't think he wants to. He tries hard not to, in fact, but he's just the kind of guy who, when things are going well, is going to screw them up. If there's a wrong word to say, he'll say it. If there's a wrong thing to do, he'll do it. Sometimes intentionally, sometimes not. You wouldn't want to be his friend, since he brings bad luck to everyone around him, and usually it's his fault. Sometimes he seems almost to be getting himself unscrewed. But you can bet it won't last.

Bill Crider

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM