Re: RARA-AVIS: Bruen's The Magdalen Martyrs

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 18 Mar 2005

Al wrote:

"It can take the UK some time to catch up with the States. Alexander McCall Smith only got big here about two years after you guys discovered him."

Wow, that's not at all the impression I had. Or maybe it just applies to homegrown writers. For instance, hasn't the UK discovered a number of US writers before we have on this side of the pond? Aren't a number of Connelly's and Ellroy's true firsts the UK editions? And I know Pelecanos gained press coverage and, seemingly, popularity in the UK first, plus he finally went into paperback there first (thankfully, by Serpent's Tail, so they finally got distribution here, too). Of course, the size of the market, the overall number of potential buyers, is much smaller in the UK.

And, Alexander McCall Smith is big in the States? Never heard of him.

Mark

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM