Re: RARA-AVIS: Bruen's The Magdalen Martyrs

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 18 Mar 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "T. Kent Morgan" < tkmorgan@shaw.ca>

"Magdalen" was published by Brandon, an Irish -- not a UK -- publisher, although they do have a distribution deal in the UK with Turnaround. http://www.brandonbooks.com

> I eventually found a copy in a large store in
> York and the only other copy I spotted was in Murder One in London.
> Only two copies for a writer supposedly as popular as Bruen after
> the success of The Guards

It can take the UK some time to catch up with the States. Alexander McCall Smith only got big here about two years after you guys discovered him. Transworld have twigged, which is why they've bought the rights to the next couple of Jack Taylors.

> and no sign of it in the large chains such
> as WH Smith and Waterstones.

Bookstore presence has never been harder, particularly for small publishers.

Al

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM