RARA-AVIS: Re: the new generation

From: Charlie Williams ( cs_will@btopenworld.com)
Date: 15 Mar 2005

> Today, Block does
> what he does as well as he's ever done it, but I
> think that time is
> passing him by. (As it must do to us all.) Another
> generation has come
> along. Crime writers now are publishing novels that
> are simply more
> interesting, imaginative and sophisticated than
> those of decades past.

I recently read my first Block novel - HOPE TO DIE. While I can see great flaws in it (like the whole plot, when you step back and consider it), it was a great read. The guy can lay down words, pure and simple. Great long sub-plots that don't serve the main thrust, long waffles about Scudder's day-to-day life - it's all a pleasure to read and get lost in, and somehow at the end you feel you've read something organic.

You know how it felt to me? I felt like it was a breath of fresh air. It was great to be reading something not "interesting, imaginative and sophisticated" (dubious, dubious claim there).

New generation? Bollocks.

Like someone said before me (re Hard Case Crime), it's great to just dip back and forwards in time, reading great books, whenever they were published or whatever generation the author comes from. I'll certainly be dipping into some earlier Block.

Charlie.

www.charliewilliams.net

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM