Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Scorsese on Scorsese

From: Victoria Lavagette ( lavagette@yahoo.com)
Date: 18 Dec 2004

Caught the interview on Charlie Rose the other night with Scorsese and Cate Blanchette (sp?) talking about the Aviator. Long time back I read a fast and sloppy bio of Hughes that omitted the fact that he suffered terribly from Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Scorsese talked about a Hughes memo on how to open a can of peaches with an incredible number of steps beginning with picking up the can. Neither the book nor the interview mentioned syphilis which an old time Las Vegan told me Hughes had. Clips from the movie focused on Hughes affair with Katherine Hepburn which I find odd as both were dominant types personally so who gave in.
  Anyway the movie is definitely on my list. I find Hughes one of those extremely complicated geniuses that nothing appears to explain so each biographer deals with bits and pieces. I once met a man who worked a full career for Hughes and he said that whatever happened was fully manipulated by Hughes who was a champion plotter.
  Victoria

"E.Borgers" < wbac12034@tiscali.be> wrote:
... His new "Aviator" is announced here also. Let us cross fingers. Not linked to that event, it happens that I read an unofficial biography of Hugues recently -mainly centered on his debut and Hollywood invasion periods, despite the fact that his complete life is described Adding it to all the other works I already read in the past about the man, I have difficulties to imagine that one film only could be enough to describe from A to Z the life and deeds of this paranoid power crazy tycoon (meaning not that Scorsese's film has to do it to be acceptable).

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384

$4.98 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything. http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM