Re: RARA-AVIS: Halo In Brass (possible Spoilers)

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 04 Aug 2004

Mark,

Re your question below:

> This [discussion of outmoded attitudes] kind of
> reminds me of a particular old plot point: If a body

> has its face blown off, the corpse isn't who
everyone
> assumes it is. Now
> this would never work with today's forensics (unless
> maybe its a twin),
> but when did this plot start, and when did it reach
> saturation point and
> become a cliche?

SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT

I don't know if it's the first, but surely the most famous example is Vera Caspary's LAURA, in which the corpse, presumed to be the titular character, turns out to be someone else entirely.

END SPOILER ALERT END SPOILER ALERT END SPOILER ALERT

It was probably the popularity of that novel, and particularly the film made from it, that hastened its overuse to the saturation point.

JIM DOHERTY