Re: RARA-AVIS: Halo In Brass (possible Spoilers)

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 04 Aug 2004

Doug wrote:

"I meant something more specific, that HALO IN BRASS was a book that was
"locked in time", so to speak. The plot depends for it's impact on societal ideas and attitudes about lesbianism that don't apply anymore. We're supposed to be shocked, but what's shocking about it, nowadays?"

You don't find that a fair amount though? At least with smaller specifics, if not major plot points? When reading older books I often have to remind myself of the time in which they are set. For instance, I often find myself thinking, wow, that wouldn't work in a contemporary book, due to DNA, better forensics, better ballistics, etc. Doesn't ruin my enjoyment, though, if the athor is good enough.

This kind of reminds me of a particular old plot point: If a body has its face blown off, the corpse isn't who everyone assumes it is. Now this would never work with today's forensics (unless maybe its a twin), but when did this plot start, and when did it reach saturation point and become a cliche?

Mark