Re: RARA-AVIS: Ken Bruen, The Guards

From: Steve Singleton ( ssingleton@kc.devry.edu)
Date: 19 May 2004

Craig,

I've read three of Bruen's books: LONDON BOULEVARD, THE GUARDS, and THE KILLING OF THE TINKERS and all three are similar in style, and all have short paragraphs, unusual sentence structures (in THE KILLING OF THE TINKERS, he uses fewer items in series as individual paragraphs), and wicked humor. The protagonists in these books don't really fit the traditional detective mold. In the Jack Taylor novels his drinking, and drug use play a role, but as the book mentions, Irish culture plays a pretty significant role, as well. In LONDON BOULEVARD, Mitch doesn't emerge from prison as a man on a mission, but instead is more teased into the investigation by one who has other motives. Not quite as much drinking in LONDON BOULEVARD, but just as much violence and even more unusual romantic entanglements.

I enjoyed Bruen's writing, and have THE WHITE TRILOGY on order, and I noticed the Do Not Press and Amazon in the UK have the fourth Jack Taylor book, THE DRAMATIST, available for order.

Hope you find my comments helpful.

Steve

"The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas."
   - Linus Pauling

Steven B. Singleton Professor DeVry University 11224 Holmes Rd Kansas City, MO 64131
(816) 941-0430 ext.5231 ssingleton@kc.devry.edu
>>> Craig.Larson@trinidadstate.edu 05/19/04 10:22 AM >>>
I remember a flurry of emails a week or two back regarding Bruen. I just finished his book _The Guards_ last night and thought I'd post regarding it. It was a rather odd book, what with the very short chapters and unique sentence structures and so forth. Also, Bruen's detective, Jack Taylor, doesn't really do a lot of detecting, but spends a lot of time stumbling from one drink to another and alienating the people around him. I was prompted to finally read the book after seeing the recent film,
_Intermission_, sort of an Irish _Short Cuts_ or _Magnolia_ with crime thrown into the mix. I loved Colm Meaney's police detective and hoped maybe I'd find something similar in Bruen's novel. It wasn't a total loss, but I'm not really sure if I'd want to read another Bruen. Are his books all like this?

Craig Larson Trinidad, CO

.