Re: RARA-AVIS: Ken Bruen, The Guards

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 19 May 2004

Craig,

If you were a bit put off by the style, of both writing and stumbling detective work, in The Guards, you should definitely steer clear of Bruen's White Trilogy (still only three in the US, but I think there are four or five in the UK). It's even more exaggerated in its affect. I happen to like it very much, but understand how it might bother others.
(As a matter of fact, I remember hating a book called The Dada Caper for pretty much the same reasons a long time ago; maybe I should read it again, see if I'd like it now.)

However, you still might want to try one of his earlier noirs set in London. They are far more traditional in their writing. Rilke on Black has been compared to Jim Thompson, for instance. I would especially recommend The Hackman Blues.

Mark