RARA-AVIS: Ken Bruen, The Guards

From: Larson, Craig ( Craig.Larson@trinidadstate.edu)
Date: 19 May 2004

I remember a flurry of emails a week or two back regarding Bruen. I just finished his book _The Guards_ last night and thought I'd post regarding it. It was a rather odd book, what with the very short chapters and unique sentence structures and so forth. Also, Bruen's detective, Jack Taylor, doesn't really do a lot of detecting, but spends a lot of time stumbling from one drink to another and alienating the people around him. I was prompted to finally read the book after seeing the recent film,
_Intermission_, sort of an Irish _Short Cuts_ or _Magnolia_ with crime thrown into the mix. I loved Colm Meaney's police detective and hoped maybe I'd find something similar in Bruen's novel. It wasn't a total loss, but I'm not really sure if I'd want to read another Bruen. Are his books all like this?

Craig Larson Trinidad, CO