RARA-AVIS: Bester's "Man," Dick's "Tears"

From: chrisaschneider@earthlink.net
Date: 04 Jan 2004

When I suggested "Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said" and "The Demolished Man," my memory of these two novels was rather hazy. A good reason for rereading them, right?

Having finished both of 'em, now, I discover: 1) I love them (no great surprise); and 2) there's a lot of similarity between Bester's 1953 novel and PKD's 1974 one.

Both novels are balanced between two male protags: someone in law enforcement (police-prefect Lincoln Powell in the Bester, "police general" Felix Buckman in the Dick) and a celebrity-turned-criminal who becomes unhinged (corporate honcho Ben Reich in the Bester, singer Jason Taverner in the Dick). And in both cases, although it can be said that the law figure represents "virtue," I think that it's the criminal who's the more crucial character.

(An analogy: The difference between these figures is like the difference between Bogart and Frank Lovejoy in the Ray-directed "In a Lonely Place." One represents sanity, but the other's the one with the sympathy.)

Wasn't one of the points made in the latest "defining Noir" thread that "criminal's P.O.V." tended to point toward Noir, whereas empathy with the law-enforcer pointed toward HB? With that in mind, I'd say that "Demolished Man" flirts with Noir and "Flow My Tears" definitely aligns itself.

For those who haven't read 'em, let me specify that:

1) "Demolished Man" deals with the question "How do you commit murder in a society where E.S.P. is common and most crimes can be anticipated before they're committed?"

2) "Flow My Tears" shows a universally-known singer/TV personality who awakes one morning, in a "day after tomorrow" society, and discovers that his fame has never existed and no one has ever heard of him.

It's a "So Long At The Fair"-ish scenario for "Tears." Of course, we do discover that Taverner is part of a genetically-bred superior breed of humans -- "6's", whereas others are 5's or 4's; that, in the wake of the last war, society (U.S. society?) is run with the aid of forced-labor camps; that citizens have their ID numbers tatooed on them; that marijuana is legal whereas tobacco is contraband; that students/youths are trapped and criminalized prisoners beneath the remains of the unversities; that racist procreation laws have reduced blacks to a status of "rare and endangered" (etc etc). These last factors aren't so much "plot" as they are details to be glimpsed in the novel's interstices.

I've gone on for too long about these books. Let me add, however, that the Bester contains some violence that shows it to be a part of the era of "I, The Jury." Perhaps one could write about it as an example of Bester's fascination with amoral, law-breaking Superman? Reich, the murderous honcho, would be an example of that species.

There are moments, too, when "Tears" is almost canonically Noir.

Tom Neal in "Detour" --
"Yes. Fate, or some mysterious force, can put the finger on you or me for no good reason at all."

Felix Buckman thinking to himself in "Tears" --
"... this one specific man who never harmed anyone, never did anything except let his file come to the attention of the authorities. That's it right there. Jason Taverner let himself come to our attention, and, as they say, once come to the authorities' attention, never completely forgotten." (Chapter 27; p. 217 of the Vintage Books edition)

To be strongly recommended, both of 'em.

Chris