Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Pinkney Benedict

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 18 Sep 2003

Richard Moore wrote:
> But, Mike, if you like Pinkney, let me recommend another West Virginia
writer
> to you with an unusual name: Breece D'J Pancake. Don't take my word for
it,
> here is what Joyce Carol Oates said on reviewing THE STORIES OF BREECE D'J
> PANCAKE in 1983: "A writer of such extraordinary gifts that one is
tempted to
> compare his debut to Hemingway's." She wasn't interesting in pleasing the
> writer as poor Breece blew his brains out at the age of 26.

******************** Thanks for the recommendation on the Pancake. I ordered the collection you mentioned above. I'm looking forward to getting them. By the way, I got the book from Amazon and, as usual, it made some other interesting recommendations. Here's a few of the ones I thought interesting:

ANIMAL SOUL, Bob Hicok THE UNDERTAKING, Thomas Lynch BAY OF ANGELS, Brookner BROTHERS AND KEEPERS, Wideman

Any of these sound familiar? And thanks to Mario and Todd too for your comments.

miker