RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled? musician's fiction...

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 09 Sep 2003

The Zevon economia remind me I've just picked up a UK double volume of Gil Scott-Heron's novels THE VULTURE (1970) and THE NIGGER FACTORY (1972). THE VULTURE, published simultaneously with his first volume of poetry (and therefore about the same time as his first rap and jazz/pop album? --Yes, rap considerably predates Grandmaster Flash, though the likes of NPR and ROLLING STONE seem willfully unaware of this, even if the television advertisers who rented "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised" are not), seems like it may be hardboiled...and while it's the work of a very young GS-H, it may well be valuable. Particularly for those who're looking for contemporaries of Donald Goines. (The other book is apparently an indictment of schools such as Lincoln University, currently fighting legal actions to keep control of a large endowment of paintings and other art.) Will report. TM