RE: RARA-AVIS: Davidson: Smith, again

From: Todd Mason (
Date: 21 Aug 2003

-----Original Message----- From: Craig Smith [mailto:] Glad I could help in some way. So, where do you think you picked up the info on Davidson's writing techniques in the "Men's Sweat" magazines?
--Not the best choice of words, there, Craig, but I'm quite sure I read about Davidson's dedication to writing true crime and other historical (vs.
"true crime") work for the tough-guy magazines in Algis Budry's review of Davidson's wonderful novel MASTERS OF THE MAZE, wherein the protagonist is also a writer for such magazines. Even if Budrys hadn't highlighted it before I read the novel, I suspect I'd remember an offhand reference by the hero to the alien species he's dealing with, in the form of one of the titles manly rags would run: "Communist Chulpex Ate My Wife."

So, who's your friend who knew Davidson? Went to high school with a Davis/Davidson family friend, myself. TM