RARA-AVIS: City of Glass

From: Johnny Klapp ( JohnnyQKlapp@yahoo.com)
Date: 18 Jun 2003

Thanks to all who recommended books. I have sent away for all of them, pretty much. How I love Amazon.

By the way Mark, I didn't mean to suggest that Boileau-Narcejac were postmodern, I was just expressing shock and awe that they aren't translated.

And miker, the notion of language constructing reality is fundamental to postmodernist thought. If you're interested, start reading The History of Sexuality, vol. 1, by Foucault, or more or less anything by Foucault
-- Madness and Civilization for instance. (I haven't read that one, but I know a man who has.)

Actually, we only have to listen to the Bush administration's words of wisdom to see how language constructs reality. We have just 'freed' Iraq. If you don't agree, you're 'unpatriotic'. Our sanctions against them were founded in our interest in 'human rights'. Actually, this isn't language constructing reality in a Foucauldian sense, but rather in a Marxist sense: those with the power get to say what things mean.

Johnny