Re: RARA-AVIS: City of Glass

From: Charles Ardai ( charles@winterfall.com)
Date: 17 Jun 2003

> Has anybody read CITY OF GLASS by Paul
> Auster?...does anybody know of other stimulating
> thriller/noir works that break convention or
> introduce new techniques? That's what interests
> me.

Auster is something of an uneven writer, but at his best he's just stunning. The "New York Trilogy" is probably his best-known work, but it's not his best (in my opinion), and it's certainly not the only work of his that tackles noir themes in a novel way. THE MUSIC OF CHANCE is a surreal story of two men trapped in a fate they don't deserve when a sinister poker game goes awry, and has a lot in common with the "doomed men" novels of Cornell Woolrich and James M. Cain. And LEVIATHAN, while primarily a non-genre novel, does tell the story of a serial bomber and ends with a really beautiful twist.

You might also want to check out the crime-themed stories of Jorge Luis Borges, such as "The Garden of Forking Paths" (first published in English in Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine, as fate would have it) and
"Death and the Compass."

And Joyce Carol Oates' contribution in the most recent BEST AMERICAN MYSTERY STORIES, "The High School Girlfriend," dips a toe into similarly postmodern waters.

--Charles