RARA-AVIS: Fish Stories

From: Graham Powell ( bleekerbooks@hotmail.com)
Date: 06 May 2003

Chandler's "Goldfish" is pretty good, but I prefer "Trouble Is My Business" and "Red Wind". In fact, I think "Red Wind" may be the best detective short story ever. The ending puzzled me for a long time, but when I figured it out is absolutely *made* the story.

I don't think I've read "Angelfish" but Dent's story "Sail" has been pretty widely reprinted, and I suspect has the same main character, Oscar Sail. It reminds me a great deal of Charles Williams' work, although it's a little pulpier.

As for "Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe", that was one of the best short story collections I've ever read. No offense, Dick, but I liked James Grady's story "The Devil's Playground" best. The reprint edition had one or two new stories, too.

Graham