RARA-AVIS: 1970s reading

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 04 Mar 2003

What do you recommend for 1970s reading? I can think of a few things, starting with series:

- Lawrence Block's Matt Scudder books, though only the first three are
  from the '70s, and the two masterpieces come in 1982 and 1986
- the Parker books by Richard Stark/Donald E. Westlake, which had four
  entries and then went on hiatus until 1997
- John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee, Ross Macdonald's Lew Archer, Donald
  Hamilton's Matt Helm, and Richard S. Prather's Shell Scott continued on
- black writers like Donald Goines, and books inspired by the
  blaxploitation movies (and Tidyman's Shaft series)
- Charles Willeford's two books: THE BURNT ORANGE HERESY and THE HOMBRE
  FROM SONORA (aka THE DIFFERENCE)
- Mickey Spillane wrote a few, but who wants to reread a Tiger Mann book?

James Ellroy and Loren Estleman's Amos Walker didn't kick in until 1980. I got stuck trying to think of more names, and I have little from this decade on my shelves. The Vietnam war had a big effect on American writers, but I can't think of relevant examples. What was going on with HB writing in the UK and France in the '70s?

Bill