RE: RARA-AVIS: The Marlowe Paradigm

From: Anthony Dauer ( anthony.dauer@verizon.net)
Date: 07 Dec 2002

I fail to see why being influenced by an author would be detectable in their writing. Being influenced doesn't equate to copying that author. Reading Chandler and then writing your own detective fiction is being influenced by ... hell, reading Chandler and hating him and then writing your own story because you know you can do better is still amounts to having been influenced by Chandler. There's nothing disturbing in that that I can see. Authors are influenced by everyone they read, but that doesn't amount to copying them or that anyone is likely to know from reading them just who the author has read unless it's the author's bio they're reading.

--
Anthony Dauer
Alexandria, Virginia

Don't let the skirts fool you these aren't ladies, they're femme fatales ...
http://www.adau.net/judas_ezine/
-----Original Message----- From: Al Guthrie Sent: Saturday, December 07, 2002 6:04 AM
That's a disturbing thought. If it's true, PI writers must have peculiarly sponge-like brains. Recently I read George "Ameba" Pelecanos's "Hell To Pay" without detecting the slightest trace of Chandler's alleged omnipotence. And more recently (commented on in the archives) I read Wade "Ringer" Miller's "Deadly Weapon": a PI novel markedly un-Chandleresque in its almost slavish indebtedness to Hammett (any PI writer not influenced by Hammett never read him, but was probably influenced by imitators, including Chandler. That's a disturbing thought. If it's true...).