Re: RARA-AVIS: The Marlowe Paradigm

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 07 Dec 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bludis Jack" < buildsnburns@yahoo.com>

> Any PI writer not influenced by Chandler never
> read him, but was probably influenced by
> imitators.

That's a disturbing thought. If it's true, PI writers must have peculiarly sponge-like brains. Recently I read George "Ameba" Pelecanos's "Hell To Pay" without detecting the slightest trace of Chandler's alleged omnipotence. And more recently (commented on in the archives) I read Wade
"Ringer" Miller's "Deadly Weapon": a PI novel markedly un-Chandleresque in its almost slavish indebtedness to Hammett (any PI writer not influenced by Hammett never read him, but was probably influenced by imitators, including Chandler. That's a disturbing thought. If it's true...).

Al