RARA-AVIS: At the Bookstore

From: James Reasoner ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 08 Nov 2002

I was passing by a Half Price Books yesterday and had one of those moments where I debated with myself whether I even wanted to go in. I almost didn't. But I decided to look around for a minute.

Here's what I came out with:

Harry Whittington -- HELL CAN WAIT, HEAT OF NIGHT, DESIRE IN THE DUST, MOURN THE HANGMAN, HALFWAY TO HELL, THE WOMAN IS MINE, A HAVEN FOR THE DAMNED, STRIP THE TOWN NAKED (as Whit Harrison), SLAY RIDE FOR A LADY, MURDER IS MY MISTRESS, SATURDAY NIGHT TOWN, SHACK ROAD GIRL, DON'T SPEAK TO STRANGE GIRLS, and GOD'S BACK WAS TURNED. All in very good to fine shape. Plus NAKED LUST, with Shep Shepard on the cover and Whittington on the title page. I don't know if it's ever been determined whether Whittington really wrote this one, but I wanted it anyway. But that's not all.

Charles Williams -- UNCLE SAGAMORE AND HIS GIRLS, BIG CITY GIRL, MAN ON THE RUN, HILL GIRL, GIRL OUT BACK, A TOUCH OF DEATH, TALK OF THE TOWN, AND THE DEEP BLUE SEA, RIVER GIRL.

Ed Lacy -- GO FOR THE BODY, STRIP FOR VIOLENCE, ENTER WITHOUT DESIRE, IN BLACK AND WHITEY, HARLEM UNDERGROUND, and two as by Len Zinberg(Lacy's real name, right?) WHAT D'YA KNOW FOR SURE and WALK HARD--TALK LOUD.

Plus three Peter Rabes, assorted Gold Medels, Avons, Lions, and Aces, and five of those Jules de Grandin collections by Seabury Quinn. I tell ya, it was all I could do not to break into the happy dance right in the store.

Now, the unfortunate thing is that I did NOT get these for half price, like Bill Crider got those Gold Medals in Corpus Christi a couple of years ago, but most of them were pretty cheap, as in one to three bucks each. A few were $5 each, and the Shep Shepard was $15. But I was still thrilled to get them. I actually left some stuff there in the store, like a couple of Whittington Westerns that I already have more than copy of and some Ace Double mysteries, likewise. But I couldn't pass up the others. You just don't find that stuff much anymore, especially not in that quantity or condition.

It occurs to me is that somebody probably died, and these books that had been on his shelves for forty years got taken to Half Price and sold for a quarter apiece. That's sort of sad, but at least they wound up in a good home.

James