Re: RARA-AVIS: Whitfield's GREEN ICE

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 Nov 2002

Miker,

Re your comment below:

> I've been meaning to go back and reread MALTESE
> FALCON. I can definitely
> see the impersonal nature of RED HARVEST, but I
> kinda thought that Hammett
> exhibited a more personal element with Sam.

If you thought Hammett's narrative style in HARVEST was impersonal, you'll find that it'll seem warm and cuddly compared to FALCON. FALCON is one of the best examples I've ever seen of waht one writing instructor I had called "the camera/tape recorder" mode of narration. Nothing is spelled out except what can concretely be seen and heard. All emotions, thoughts, interior monologue, etc., are things the reader has to infer.

JIM DOHERTY