Re: RARA-AVIS: Whitfield's GREEN ICE

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 01 Nov 2002

Mario said:
> The personal element makes this a noir novel, as different
> from the Hammett style as it was possible to be then (and
> still be a Black Masker).
>
> To me, Green Ice is a masterpiece of hardboiled noir.
>
> I think that the similarities between Hammett and Whitfield
> are mostly superficial. Very different writers.

*************** I've been meaning to go back and reread MALTESE FALCON. I can definitely see the impersonal nature of RED HARVEST, but I kinda thought that Hammett exhibited a more personal element with Sam. I noticed that in your review of Zelterserman's IN HIS SHADOW, you read it twice. I'm thinking that's a good idea for developing a better feel for a book.

I'm anxious for the Crippen and Landrau (sp?) Jo Gar stories to come out. I think that November was the target, wasn't it?

miker

miker