Re: RARA-AVIS: Whitfield's GREEN ICE

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 04 Nov 2002

On 2 November 2002, JIM DOHERTY wrote:

: FALCON is one of the best examples I've ever seen of waht one writing
: instructor I had called "the camera/tape recorder" mode of narration.
: Nothing is spelled out except what can concretely be seen and heard.
: All emotions, thoughts, interior monologue, etc., are things the reader
: has to infer.

When I think of this, I think of THE GLASS KEY. Absolutely nothing internal at all, everything's outside, and you have to figure it out yourself by watching and listening. Sort of an anti-Marlowe. I think it's hard to write this way and make it good.

Bill