RARA-AVIS: Gruesome JDM passage

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 15 Sep 2002

I just finished DARKER THAN AMBER (1966), the seventh in the Travis McGee series. It's not as good as most of the earlier ones: the McGee ponderings are heavy, his investigative work and infiltration seem unlikely, and a lot of the people involved are very unlikeable. It's a bit unpleasant all around, even given that it's centred on a "cheap, sloppy, greedy, slut."

Check out this bit, from when McGee turns down an offer from the cheap, sloppy woman:

| I *was* a prude, in my own fashion. I had been emotionally
| involved a few times with women with enough of a record of
| promiscuity to make me vaguely uneasy. It is difficult to put
| much value on something the lady has distributed all too
| generously. I have the feeling that there is some mysterious quota,
| which varies with each woman. And whether she gives herself or
| sells herself, once she reaches her own number, once X pairs
| of hungry hands have been clamped tightly upon her rounded
| undersides, she suffers a sea change wherein her juices alter
| from honey to acid, her eyes change to glass, her heart becomes
| a stone, and her mouth a windy cave from whence, with each
| monstrous gasping, comes a tiny stink of death.

Imagine that at the top of the personals column in the paper, or recited before a TV blind date show.

Bill