RARA-AVIS: Re: Warren Zevon dying

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 15 Sep 2002

Mark wrote:

>Since he, deservedly, comes up just about every time we discuss
>hardboiled music and was so influenced by Ross MacDonald, I thought I'd
>pass along the sad news that Warren Zevon has terminal cancer.

Shit. This is a guy that writes true hardboiled music. Not smaltzy jazzbo meanderings that just happened to be used in crime films, but truly tough songs that were laced with goofy black humour and plenty of heart.

"I'm okay with it, but it'll be a drag if I don't make it till the next James Bond movie comes out, " says Zevon.