RE: RARA-AVIS: Gruesome JDM passage

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 15 Sep 2002

William Denton wrote:

I just finished DARKER THAN AMBER (1966), the seventh in the Travis McGee series. It's not as good as most of the earlier ones: the McGee ponderings are heavy, his investigative work and infiltration seem unlikely, and a lot of the people involved are very unlikeable. It's a bit unpleasant all around, even given that it's centred on a "cheap, sloppy, greedy, slut."

Check out this bit, from when McGee turns down an offer from the cheap, sloppy woman: (quote omitted)

*********** That quote is especially nasty for JDM. Although I usually think of JDM's Travis books as kind of upbeat and fun, the ending to the two I have read, DRESS HER IN INDIGO and THE DEEP BLUE GOOD-BY, both had sad endings, even though Travis did his job as best he could.

miker