RARA-AVIS: John Williams' Post

From: Mbdlevin@aol.com
Date: 03 Aug 2002

From John Williams' long post a few days back:

<< but
 it strikes me - talking right off the top of my head now - that maybe the
 most interesting way for the noir/hb writing to develop is to move out of
 the genre confines. The challenge, certainly, that interests me as a writer,
 is to apply the things I like about noir/hb - the sense that the world is
 not OK, that the underdog viewpoint is the one to take, that corruption is
 everywhere, that the evocation of place can be crucial to the creation of
 character - to novels that do not neccessarily need to revolve around a dead
 body or a zillion dollar coke deal. >>

This admirable goal maybe runs counter to the realities of the publishing industry--just a speculation. It seems to me that I've heard at least one writer (Moseley, maybe) say that he had written a non-genre novel with a noir/h-b atmosphere, and when it couldn't sell, he was advised to write a crime novel. Doug