Re: RARA-AVIS: heroes/Achilles

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 26 Jul 2002

miker wrote:

> i'm not wore out on this hero discussion yet. i had kind
> of implied that until hardboiled came along, the hero was
> all noble and pure and not a bad guy at all. and rene,
> you were right on target when you mentioned that this wasn't
> right, and used the odyssey and illiad as examples.
>
> so i started thinking about when, if ever, the hero ideal
> turned into a true dudley dooright. i know you mentioned
> christianity, but the heroes of the bible, if any, sure
> weren't model citizens. the farthest back i can put a
> finger on this kind of hero ideal is the concept of chiv-
> alry, which evolved during the medieval period, but because
> of a breakdown in author/publisher negotiations, didn't
> show up in literature until the 14th (_sir gawain and the
> green knight_) and 15th (_le morte d'arthur_) centuries.

Actually, that's the kind of stuff I had in mind rather than Biblical stuff. (I suspect you're thinking Old Testament rather than New, which would technically be pre-Christian.) So when I said Christian, let's be more specific & say Medieval European, particularly the literature of Chivalry. In fact, the more I think about it the more I'm sure that's where our modern concept of heroism comes from, which should bring us up to Chandler and a man who walks the mean streets but is not afraid, etc. Marlowe was nearly named Mallory, in honour of the author of LE MORTE D'ARTHUR, which I think may've been mentioned here before.

> darn, i'm starting to feel like a scholar. pass me another
> one of those longneck fosters, would ya, rene.

Sounds good to me. Maybe we could watch some Three Stooges vid's as well, get this kulcher stuff out of our systems.

Rene